Tuesday, 24 January 2012

Rise and Shine, it's a new day. Rub the gunk out of my eyes, hit the coffee machine, switch on the radio. Time to go to work. Work? Hmm.

Jump in front of the computer, log onto Seek, MyCareer, CareerOne. Trawl through latest posts. Search "policy officer", "policy research", "media policy". Nothing happening. A few agencies looking for health policy analysts. All I know about health is what I pick up on ABC radio.

Have a browse across available positions in Sydney and surrounds. Lots of work in marketing, PR, advertising, a few positions in media. I hesitate, would they talk to me? "Must have x years experience in y". But I could do that job! I can write, I understand how the media works, I can edit in HTML, and I can manipulate images in Photoshop and, hell, I'm great at research! I gird my loins and whip off an application. But I know it's a waste of time.

Next I check out the legal jobs. Specialists wanted in commercial law, insolvency, privacy. No one needs a specialist in media and press freedom. Even the junior roles demand three years practice experience. All my experience has been in policy, not for profit, research or publishing. Hey, there's a position for a junior paralegal to do basic photocopying, filing etc. I write an enthusiastic letter expressing my earnest desire to develop a career in private practice. I don't mind doing the grunt work, happy to make coffee and do the washing up. A week or so later I get the feedback: I'm "over qualified".

I try retail. I've never worked in a shop but how difficult can it be? Teenage girls do it all the time. I'm smart, willing to learn, and I know what customers want (being a customer myself). No reply.

Browsing the local area jobs, I discover a job washing dogs at the RSPCA animal shelter. I love dogs! I draft an application oozing with enthusiasm and describing how I've owned many dogs over the years and I've bathed them countless times. I'm rejected because I don't have any relevant experience.

Think I'll go back to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment